Friday 4 July 2008

Making contact

I wrote a short article about job seeking a little while ago. In fact, it was one of the first things I wrote when my own career was going through significant change. A conversation I had today reminded me about my experiences and of one particular point in the article which was about job search success.

It was on the subject of how hard it is sometimes to call people when there has been a gap in communications. Quite often it is a genuine pleasure on both sides when you catch up with an old friend or colleague but making the first call can sometimes be difficult. The point that today's conversation reminded me of was this; not speaking for some time is very different from not wanting to speak.

Work and life move fast but more often than not the reaction to a call out of the blue is pleasant surprise and not confusion or hostility. Of course you can always choose not to call but if you are undecided, why not pick up the phone or send a note to someone from your past who doesn't necessarily have to remain there.


Have a great weekend all and a great 4th of July if you are reading from the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment