Tuesday 3 June 2008

Practical exercise I

A short practical exercise for anyone making career decisions at this time. [Note: If you want to make it more fun, do it wearing a party hat and streamers]

1. Think of the most successful point in your career then ask yourself the following three questions:

(i) What were the main factors behind my success at that time?
(ii) How was my success experienced by those around me?
(iii) In hindsight, are there any ways I would act or behave differently?

2. When you are satisfied with your answers to the above, think of an event or point in your career that you view as the least successful or most troubled. Ask yourself the following three questions:

(i) What were the main causes behind my lack of success at that time?
(ii) How did I behave around others at that time?
(iii) In hindsight, are there any ways I would act or behave differently?

3. When you are satisfied with the answers to all six questions, pick the three things that stand out for you the most. Review these three elements for their ability to:

a) confirm something positive that you already know about yourself
b) shed light on something that is motivating your career
c) offer a new perspective on your ability to influence success and deal with difficulties in your career future

Feel free to share your comments on this exercise or the insights that you gained as a result. [Note: Please remove your party hat if you have not already done so]

No comments:

Post a Comment